Today's class focused on hustling toward the end of Period 8. Today we discussed the following:
Johnson's Great Society
2. Medical Care (Medicare/Medicaid)
3. Immigration Reform (Immigration Act of 1965 - greatly increased immigration from Latin America)
4. Voting Rights (Voting Rights Act of 1965 - led to a substantial increase in Africa - Americans registered in the South)
Vietnam - continuation of containment, led to a credibility gap developing, hurt Johnson's Great Society, he decided not to run in 1968).
- Stonewall Rebellion
- Students for a Democratic Society (SDS) - reflected the radicalization of the protest movement.
- Emergence of the counter culture movement- Baby Boomer in colleges
- The FDA approves birth control - 1960
- The Rise of Evangelicals
- Election of Richard Nixon in 1968
Tomorrow, we'll focus on the 1970s.